This soup is incredibly easy to make, full of flavour, taste rich and creamy however is healthy and with chestnuts being relatively low in calories but rich in minerals and vitamins what better thing to have for lunch or as a starter with some tasty whole grain bread.
I often make a larger batch of soup than I require, freeze the rest and then simply defrost and reheat gently when required.
- 1 medium onion
- 1 knob of butter
- 500g vacuum packed or tinned chestnuts
- 1 1/2 litres of hot vegetable stock
- 200g peeled celeriac
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- milk if required to dilute if the soup is too thick
- 2 slices of smoked bacon per person