The common theme for all Simply by Jimmy recipes is . . . yes, you’ve guessed it, a focus on simplicity. It may come as something of revelation but cooking and entertaining doesn’t have to be difficult nor does it need to take all day. You can still create amazing dishes that your friends will love but they don’t need to involve hours slaving away over a hot stove!
We all have different sized kitchens, different types of cookware, different time constraints and different budgets, but regardless of these factors, entertaining doesn’t have to be stressful, time consuming or expensive. Let’s face it, life is difficult enough without piling on any extra pressure!
You will note that many of my recipes are cooked in a clay pot. This ancient method of cooking is, dare I say it, foolproof delivering fantastic results every time.
I try to use seasonal products as much as possible and certainly ingredients that are easy to find which won’t require you to track down specialist suppliers.
Everyone has their favourite, tried and tested trusted fallback menus. Dishes that we can cook with our eyes closed. But now it’s time to broaden your repertoire with these effortlessly simple but always exceedingly tasty recipes.
Must Have Ingredients
Keeping just a few simple items in the cupboard or fridge, can really simplify food preparation. I don’t have loads of space in my kitchen, but I always have the following to hand to make some interesting yet simple dishes:
- preserved lemons (readily available and can be stored in the fridge for ages)
- olives both green and black (in tins for maximum shelf life)
- my signature roasted garlic purée
- tinned chickpeas (great to bulk out a dish and excellent value for money)
- cherry tomatoes (available year-round and even better if roasted as per my roasted tomato recipe)
- dried fruits like prunes, figs and apricots (perfect for injecting a burst of flavour into a dish)
- bags of ‘madeleines’ or miniature sponge cakes (ideal starting point for a quick fix dessert)